Re: [cssom-view] Expose the 'renderport' to content

From: Matt Woodrow <mwoodrow@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 22:10:26 +1200
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Kartikaya Gupta <kgupta@mozilla.com>

On 8/04/16 8:44 PM, Simon Pieters wrote:
> What if there are use cases for reading it at other times? In
> particular during page load. With events it's typically racy whether
> the event gets fired before the relevant event listener has been set
> up, and it's a layer violation to fire an event in response to setting
> a listener. Maybe a Promise?

This does seem like a useful use case to solve, but it's not clear to me
how a Promise would work.

With an event listener, we would want to fire it in response to the
listener being added, and then only fire it when changes occur. Wouldn't
a promise require a new request each time, and we wouldn't be able to
distinguish between the 'initial' case, and the normal one?

> I suppose that exposing a property could mean that it would have to
> flush layout on getting if we want to avoid out of date information,
> and maybe we don't want to introduce new things that flush layout?

Right, that was the main reason to prefer a callback rather than a property.

- Matt