Re: [will-change] Should will-change on non-animatable properties create stacking context?

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> "will-change” is obviously geared towards hints regarding properties that can be animated.
>
> However, the stacking context-creation side-effects of will-change aren’t restricted to
> animatable properties. According to the spec, "will-change: position” and
> "will-change: transform-style” both create SC.
>
> Is this desired behavior? I’m not sure I see any benefit of having will-change create
> SC for non-animatable properties.
>
> Simon
>
> [1] https://drafts.csswg.org/css-will-change/

Yes, it's desired.  All properties are animatable, and the point of
the SC creation in will-change is to reduce layout flicker when
animating properties.  That includes things like switching 'position'.
It also just makes the rule simpler.