Re: [css-containment] For what problems is CSS Containment the best solution?

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Even when you're using DOM-recycling, tweaking things inside each
>> "component" can cause unnecessary layout and paint dirtying outside of
>> it.
>
> Our DOM recycling designs all use some form of absolute positioning, which
> minimizes those issues already.

Sure, if you're smart and know what you're doing, you can achieve the
same effects.  Point is to make this less of a chore/hazard (and while
we're at it, throw in a bit stronger isolation than what you can
already achieve).

Your DOM recycling examples are also far from the only example of
isolated components, many of which won't stumble into the common good
cases, like your example does.

> And the point of DOM recycling is that the
> DOM stays relatively small, so whatever unnecessary work happens won't be
> serious.
>
> Containment could still provide some benefits in some situations, but it
> doesn't seem like the big win I originally thought.

I'd like to allow people to write pages without having to use advanced
methods like that when possible, and helping them help the UA is part
of that.  DOM recycling is a very useful technique, but it's also not
needed unless you're doing a fairly large infinite scroll; plenty of
moderate-sized cases should be able to be handled by simply spewing
the DOM into the page.  Explicit flags like 'contain' will help with
this, as will all of our continuing work on increasing the efficiency
of our implementations.