Re: [css3-background] Restore box-decoration-break

On Mar 4, 2014, at 8:46 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 04:35 +0000, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>> reasonable level of implementation'
>
> Doesn't Antenna house Formatter implement box-decoration-break?
> http://antennahouse.com/product/ahf61/docs/ahf-ext.html
> That documentation links to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-css3-background-20120724/#the-box-decoration-break
> and they claim to support clone and slice.
>
> PrinceXML also says they implement it,
> http://www.princexml.com/doc/9.0/properties/box-decoration-break/
>
> So we'd presumably need a test that could be run in those products…

Yes. A large fraction of the properties and values of B&B3 are used in live content that interoperates across browsers; which is not the most common pattern for our LC specs. But then B&B3 has also reached CR before and has been around for a long, long time; which is why B&B’s current Last Call and Fragmentation’s readiness for LC are not so equivalent in practice.  Though web content and test cases are not strictly equivalent either, real-world B&B3 interop reflects a level of implementation experience we cannot assume from other features at the same REC track stage without some concrete evidence. In the absence of live sites or apps making use of box-decoration-break across 2+ UAs, some test cases seems a helpful minimum.

B&B3 is a very, very mature document that has reached CR before. Asking for the risks of possible further delay to be justified seems reasonable.