Re: [css3-page] Styling elements differently based on whether they appear on a left or right page

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:49:54 +0200
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Alan Stearns wrote:

 > >Using flexbox is fine, too. Or CSS tables.
 >
 > I think flex and grid are much better suited to layout than floats or
 > tables.

I'd like to see how you achieve these four common use cases:

  1) inside/outside sidebars, e.g. how do you generate this:

      http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/tests/css3-gcpm/sidenote.pdf

  2) holy grail with natural heigths, e.g. how do you replicate this:

       http://d.alistapart.com/holygrail/example_1.html

  3) common (British!) newspaper articles, e.g. the first example in:

       http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/02-reader/

  4) common images in books, e.g. Alice in wonderland (as discussed in [a])

       http://people.opera.com/howcome/2012/tests/alice-in-wonderland-book.pdf

     (as previously discussed here:)

       http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jan/0327.html

As for holy grail with even sidebar heights, one can use:

  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/tests/hg-table.html

-h&kon