From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:00 PM
To: www-style@w3.org; Brian Manthos
Subject: Re: [css3-background] clarify which properties in this module apply to ::first-letter and ::first-line

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Mar/0133.html>
> [... explanation of how this is unclear ...]
>> (A side question out of curiosity: the spec says
>>
>>   # The ‘box-shadow’ property applies to the ‘::first-letter’
>>   # pseudo-element, but not the ‘::first-line’ pseudo-element.
>>
>> So, does this mean UA MUST NOT apply 'box-shadow' to '::first-line'
>> or UA MAY apply 'box-shadow' to '::first-line' (because of CSS2.1) ?
>> )
>
> I don't know what the reasoning was for that. It seems to me that
> anything which does not affect layout geometry of anything outside
> itself should be allowed for first line and first letter, and we
> should say that. This would then include border-radius, box-shadow,
> text-shadow, border-image, outline, pointer-events, opacity, etc. and maybe even position.

This makes sense to me. So for this module the proposed lists would be

Applies to ::first-line -
   All background properties
   All border-radius properties
   All border-image properties
   box-shadow

Does not apply to ::first-line
   All border properties from CSS2.1.
   box-decoration-break

And all properties would apply to ::first-letter.

Brian, do you have any comment on that?

~fantasai