Re: [css3-background] clarify which properties in this module apply to ::first-letter and ::first-line

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Mar/0133.html>
> [... explanation of how this is unclear ...]
>> (A side question out of curiosity: the spec says
>>
>>   # The ‘box-shadow’ property applies to the ‘::first-letter’
>>   # pseudo-element, but not the ‘::first-line’ pseudo-element.
>>
>> So, does this mean UA MUST NOT apply 'box-shadow' to '::first-line' or
>> UA MAY apply 'box-shadow' to '::first-line' (because of CSS2.1) ? )
>
> I don't know what the reasoning was for that. It seems to me that anything
> which does not affect layout geometry of anything outside itself should be
> allowed for first line and first letter, and we should say that. This would
> then include border-radius, box-shadow, text-shadow, border-image, outline,
> pointer-events, opacity, etc. and maybe even position.

This makes sense to me. So for this module the proposed lists would be

Applies to ::first-line -
   All background properties
   All border-radius properties
   All border-image properties
   box-shadow

Does not apply to ::first-line
   All border properties from CSS2.1.
   box-decoration-break

And all properties would apply to ::first-letter.

Brian, do you have any comment on that?

~fantasai