Re: [css3-background] clarify which properties in this module apply to ::first-letter and ::first-line

On Mar 27, 2012, at 4:25 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:

> I think the #-referenced quote below is pretty clear:  conformance requires not applying box-shadow to first-line.  At least one implementation (IE9) respects that conformance requirement.
>
> And now we're considering changing conformance requirements because we want another new shiny?  Sounds like the responsible choice is to consider it for CSS4 rather than throwing another grenade at CSS3.

I don't think getting rid of an unnecessary restriction such as that can seriously be called "another new shiny", if no one can produce any reasonable rationale for why it was restricted in the first place. That just sounds like invective to discourage further changes of any sort.

If the conformance requirement went away, would it be hard to change IE10 to conform to allowing box-shadow on first-line? If it is OK to change how pages render it in a future CSS4 module, then it would be even better to make the change sooner rather than later. Less time passing means fewer pages designed with one rendering in mind that get changed to another rendering with a new browser version. If it is a nonsensicle restriction, then it should be changed in CSS3 prior to PR.