RE: SeRQL an RDF rule language: scoping Rules vs Query in W3C wor k

Hi Dan,

You may be aware of this already, but one thing I have noted is there is
considerable overlap between RDF and the area of semistructured data
discussed [1], [2] and [3]. I think the section titled "Query Languages" is
[1] is particularly relevant here because there is a comparison between
three query languages, one, Lorel, is similar to RDQL. The other, UNQL, is
based on a concept called structural recursion that can perform queries and
transformations in a similar way to XSLT. The third, StuQL, uses Skolem
functions, which I'm afraid I am less familiar with.

So based on this paper, I suggest that

- yes, you are right, previous work has shown there is considerable overlap
between query and rules

- the primary distinction between rules and query is that rules use
recursive functions whereas this is not always true with queries

- there are not just overlaps between rdf-query and rdf-rules, but also
potentially with XSLT, XPath and XQuery, and of course RuleML. Unfortunately
this may not make things easier from an organizational perspective.

[1] "An Overview of Semistructured Data." Suciu. SIGACTN: SIGACT News (ACM
Special Interest Group on Automata and Computability Theory). vol. 29. 1998.
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/160105.html

[2] "Querying Semi-Structured Data." Serge Abiteboul. ICDT. 1997. pp. 1-18.
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/abiteboul97querying.html

[3] "Semistructured data." Peter Buneman. 1997. pp. 117--121.
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/buneman97semistructured.html

kind regards,

Dr Mark H. Butler
Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
mark-h_butler@hp.com