Re: pfps-08 last call comment on typed literals

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Subject: Re: pfps-08 last call comment on typed literals
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 18:32:19 -0500

[...]

> >Note that even this would not eliminate all the concerns I have with
> >rdf:XMLLiteral.
>
> Suppose (just suppose, mark you) that lang tags were eliminated
> altogether from the graph syntax, even from XML literals, and
> rdf:XMLLiteral were a built-in datatype with a lexical-to-value map
> which simply applies an XML canonicalization to the literal string.
>
> Might that overcome your concerns, if it were done in a suitable way?
>
> Pat

This would be much better.

However, the lexical-to-value map for rdf:XMLLiteral is rather bogus right
now.  Why should there be the extra ``junk'' added, for example?  It seems
to me that it would be better to have the denotation of
	"<xxx></xxx>"^^rdf:XMLLiteral
*be*
	"<xxx></xxx>"
and not
	"<rdf-wrapper ....><xxx></xxx></rdf-wrapper>"

peter