Re: "Resource" (RDF vocabulary definitions)

Chris Catton wrote:

>I may be losing the plot now, but I still think this is a circular argument.
>Summarising what's gone so far ...
>
><http://example.org/somepage#MotorVehicle> from an rdf document refers to an
>rdf resource.

Actually I dont think there are resources distinguished from "rdf
resources",  rather there are resources and RDF can talk about them.

>So if I want to talk about the text on a web page I must define the URI:
>
>   http://example.org/somepage#MotorVehicle
>
>to mean the HTML fragment ...
>

>But I can't do this, because when I try and define it, I automatically refer
>to the resource and not the fragment

Well if you define it as an HTML fragment, then the resource *is* the
fragment.  If you define it as a class of motor vehicles, then that is
the resource.  See the mentograph [1].

[1] http://robustai.net/mentography/rdf_fragments.jpg

Of coure you can't do both things at the same time from the same server.
 I believe there must be only one http://foo document with media type
application/rdf+xml at any given time  ... right?

I've always though that mentography would be useful to clarify RDF ... I
think this is an good example.
More about mentography at
[2] http://robustai.net/mentography/mentography.html

Seth Russell