RE: "Resource" (RDF vocabulary definitions)

At 14:53 25/11/2002 +0100, Danny Ayers wrote:

[...]

>Sorry Brian, I'm a little confused, could you just please clarify -
>
>irrespective of the mime-type of the document containing
>
><rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/something#foo">
>
>the interpretation of http://example.org/something#foo here will be the
>(opaque) RDF interpretation if the mime-type of http://example.org/something
>is application/rdf+xml,
>but if the mime-type of http://example.org/something was text/html then this
>would likely be interpreted as an element <a name="foo"> in
>http://example.org/something
>
>ok so far?

No.  Wrong.  In

   <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/something#foo">

RDF defines the URI to refer to whatever a document of type
application/rdf-xml would define it to mean.  RDF defines that,
irrespective of the mime-type of the document it is contained in.

The point here is that there is no single mime-type for
http://example.org/something.  In general, that URI does not denote a
representation with a specific mime-type.

Now lets consider a URI that does refer specifically to that representation:

   <rdf:Description rdf:about="rep:text/html:http://example.org/something#foo">

then the RDF denotation of that uriref is exactly the same as the html one.

Brian