Re: semantic ical and the spring symposium on semantic web services

hi Terry

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Terry Payne wrote:

> Libby,
> 	I'm working on creating all the semantic annotations for the Spring
> Symposium on Semantic Web Services, along with a couple of services
> that should enhance the whole browser thing (I'll tell you about that
> when it works!!!).  Right now, though, I'm working on schedules :)

that sounds great Terry.

> I've already created ical schedules for all the talks in the program,
> and have published them on the program web-pages (see [1]), but now
> want to create semantic equivalents for these events.  Where is the
> latest version of your schedule ontology, and are there any examples?

Dan Connolly has been working on a new version of the vocabulary,
currently located here:

http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/rfc2445-formal.rdf

but he was thinking of replacing the old one[1] with that.
Having looked at it this week I think that the new one is much better
and should be the one to use. There was some discussion about whether
this is the right thing to do[2] which will affect the namespace used,
but I would definitely go with Dan's new one (which uses OWL and RDFS).

Dan, did you reach any conclusions about moving the new vocab to the
old namespace?

> Also, are there any readily available tools that might be able to use
> this markup?  I already have OWL markup for all the speakers/authors,
> and all the papers, and am working on a conference ontology to pull all
> this together.  However, I also need to tie together the temporal
> events.  I'm hoping to publish all the OWL markup and annotate the html
> by the end of the week...

I'll have to have a think about that one. One thing that springs to mind
is Jim Ley/Leigh Dodds' work on foafnaut extensions for events[3]. I'm
sure there are other tools out there.

> Any thoughts on the ical stuff?

Libby

[1]http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/ical.rdf