Re: Color Palette Spec?

Dan Delaney wrote:

> On Thu, 2 May 1996, Dave Carter wrote:
> > Please, no, it is bad enough people trying to control what my browser
> > window will look like without sending things which will cause the browser
> > to alter the appearance of my whole screen!
>
>    Whether you like it or not, Netscape, Internet Explorer, and most
> other programs which deal with graphics DO change the screen palette when
> you are running them. Netscape, for example, has its own palette which it
> uses when running on a system with 256 colors.

Why should they be allowed to change the screen palette?  The display
is a shared resource which should be controlled by the OS.  Maybe it's
down to the fact that Netscape only runs on OSes which expect tasks to
do that and so it doesn't bother to try and use the existing palette.

--
Stewart Brodie, Electronics & Computer Science, Southampton University.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~snb94r/      http://delenn.ecs.soton.ac.uk/