Re: Color Palette Spec?

On Fri, 3 May 1996 S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk wrote:

> Dan Delaney wrote:
> >
> >    Whether you like it or not, Netscape, Internet Explorer, and most
> > other programs which deal with graphics DO change the screen palette when
> > you are running them. Netscape, for example, has its own palette which it
> > uses when running on a system with 256 colors.
>
> Why should they be allowed to change the screen palette?  The display
> is a shared resource which should be controlled by the OS.  Maybe it's
> down to the fact that Netscape only runs on OSes which expect tasks to
> do that and so it doesn't bother to try and use the existing palette.

It also runs under X11 of course, which I would think tolerates grudgingly
tasks which do this, rather than expectes them to do it. To be fair,
netscape under X11 seems to behave fairly well when you run it up
next to a graphics application which has already grabbed all the colours,
i.e. it runs in black and white.

Dave Carter