Re: Feed back on 1.0: Meaning of incremental attribute

John Boyer wrote:

> In Xforms 1.0, the description of the incremental attribute is inadequate.

I agree with this part of the post.

> I think that it could be described
> though that incremental="true" means that each modification of the UI
> control by the user is committed to data.

I disagree with "each" here: a user may be typing fast in an input or
text field, and committing data upon each keystroke may have negative
performance implications.

This is particularly true if your XForms engine is distributed between
client and server, where latency makes it even more impractical to send
each and every keystroke to the server.

I think it would be reasonable to say that changes should be committed
"from time to time", so as to give the user the perception that changes
are taken into account immediately, but not necessarily upon each keystroke.

-Erik

--
Orbeon - XForms Everywhere:
http://www.orbeon.com/blog/