Re: Rumours of the death of "new, professionally designed typefaces" are perhaps exaggerated?

Dave Crossland wrote:

>> I hope that implies that I feel it's a bad thing to remove OTF/TTF support
>> in a new spec, whatever might come along to open up the field. Having
>> OTF/TTF is such an obviously straightforward and useful facility. For those
>> of us involved in creating and using openly licensed fonts it's a
>> no-brainer.

> Right - I think normal fonts ought to be put on the same level playing
> field as enhanced web fonts because the free software movement doesn't
> seek to restrict format choices for users and pretend there is some
> magical divide between the web and the desktop.

So instead you pretend there is some magical divide between free fonts
and non-free fonts. The idea that there should be multiple formats to
reflect the difference in IP or licensing status -- i.e. naked fonts for
free fonts and some different, probably wrapper format for non-free
fonts -- strikes me as daft. You don't solve licensing differences via
format differences: you find a single format that allows different kinds
of licensing.

JH