Re: Rumours of the death of "new, professionally designed typefaces" are perhaps exaggerated?

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 10:25 -0700, John Hudson wrote:

> So instead you pretend there is some magical divide between free fonts
> and non-free fonts. The idea that there should be multiple formats to
> reflect the difference in IP or licensing status -- i.e. naked fonts for
> free fonts and some different, probably wrapper format for non-free
> fonts -- strikes me as daft.

By that line of reasoning it follows also that
it was a serious mistake for UAs to be able to
display plain-ASCII text files.

Some plain-ASCII text files are distributed only
under restricted terms.  Browser support for
displaying them encourages their unauthorized
spread via the web.  Worse, because the desktop
applications process ASCII, there is no "low garden
wall" that prevents innocent users from compounding
the problem by downloading these files and using
them on their desktop.

If we could do it all over again, perhaps browsers
should avoid all support for ASCII.

-t