Re: the truth which dare not speak it's name

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Note, though, that Hudson was talking about people who *commissioned*
> fonts for their own use, rather than just ones who bought a license on
> an existing font.  The latter situation is actually more
> understandable, from a "well if I have to pay for it, you should too"
> eye-for-an-eye perspective.  Having a font commissioned, though, is
> something different.  There's an obvious asymmetry between the
> creation and the sharing of an object.

A business might commission a font as part of its "image" or "branding"
and just like their trademark or logo they may want to protect it in
order to keep it exclusive.

While this is a concern I'm not sure if it is a real issue. If someone
uses a font they have exclusive rights to on their website, and then
someone else copies and uses it on their own website, or in a
publication, couldn't the first party take legal action against the
second just like they could if somebody used their trademark?

- CF