RE: Fonts WG Charter feedback

Håkon Wium Lie [mailto:howcome@opera.com] wrote:
>Chris Wilson wrote:
> > > Will you do it?
> > No.
>
>To make sure we understand the implications of your dismissal: are you
>speaking on behalf of Microsoft in this matter?

I'm not sure why you refer to this as a "dismissal;" although it is a rejection of that solution, it is a well-considered rejection, and no more a dismissal than your dismissal of EOT.

On behalf of Microsoft?  Not authoritatively, but certainly this is not just my own groundless personal bias.  I've had this discussion with the Typography team, the IE team, and Steven Sinofsky.  Unless there is some other reasoning that hasn't been introduced into this argument (say, that would sway the font vendors), I think you can consider that the view of Microsoft is that TTF/OTF linking is the wrong solution to enabling fonts on the web, and Microsoft would prefer that a group including font vendors, web designers, and user agent implementers work together to come up with a solution that respects the needs of all (including the needs that EOT did not meet for the other browser vendors, BTW).

-Chris