Re: Mozilla Proposal for HTML5 Spec Licence

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> >> In real life, however, nobody important is actually trying to fork
> >> the W3C HTML5 specification.
>
> The spec has been forked and it can be expected that as new decisions by
> the HTML WG up to and during last call do not go Ian hicksons way we can
> expect to see futher divergence.

That's not a fork of the W3C copy. It's a fork of the WHATWG copy. The
WHATWG spec predates the W3C fork by several years, and the W3C version
continues to diverge as more and more decisions are made that are not
based on the same priorities or design principles as the WHATWG's. (For
the most part these differences are in trivial editorial matters such as
non-normative text or differences in spec organisation, which is why for
the large part I haven't been objecting on the W3C side and presumably
why the W3C chairs have not been concerned about the divergence in the
context of our charter.)