Re: candidate AT technique: announce _internal_ links

At 01:56 PM 2001-08-27 , David Poehlman wrote:
>The problem arrises with at in that often, we want to browse with
>something that at is not wedded to or wedded to tightly.  For instance,
>If I want to use netscape 4.75 with jaws right now, there is  alot that
>is not available and not necessarily because the at doesn't make it
>available.  Do we ask at to do much else in our document?  I want to be
>able to use a future ua with an at such that the ua makes things
>available to the at rather than the at coding for something for a
>specific user agent.  "this page" links are good things for all to know
>because they show that it need not be necessary to scroll a long way on
>a page to get to a specific piece of content on a long page.  We often
>see this in the form of a table of contents at the top of a page.

AG::

Agreed.  Everybody wants that, the mainstream technology people, the assitive
technology people, the WAI, the W3C and so forth.  And there is progress
happening.  But the progress is not all done, by any means.

>It seems difficult for at to code for more than one ua of a type without
>having to do custom coding for each.  I would hope that our guidelines
>would help to one day bring this to an end or at least nearly so.

This set of guidelines will help.  There is more to do yet, as well.  The W3C
and others are as we speak currently scratching their heads trying to figure
out the best way to move ahead on this front.

Al