Re: Techniques suggestions

Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net> wrote:

> > > 7.1 Support accessibility features of HTML
> > > LANG is priority 3. I would have thought it was 2 at least.
> >
> > As it is priority 2 in the PAGL as well, I will change it
> > to 2 here if no one protests.
>
> OK, I object.  What is the rationale for how it rates a 2?

I object again.  I strongly believe it SHOULD be implemented.

> Seems to me LANG doesn't vary that often and if the user has to
> tell the Braille software manually what language to expect, for
> example, that it is not a real show-stopper.

Have a look at Japanese press release of UA Guidelines.

	<http://www.w3.org/Press/1998/WAI-UAGL.html.ja>

Here you'll see that LANG varies frequently.  I sometimes hear Web
pages with IBM's Home Page Reader (Japanese version), and have
difficulties to understand its poor English pronunciation (its
Japanese pronunciation is pretty good, though).  I very much want
future version of Home Page Reader (and other voice browsers) support
better multilingual speech output, but it will be difficult without
appropriate language information.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org