Re: SMIL: Authoring question

to follow up on what Jon Gunderson said:

> Actually I think the two document (one with the original video
> and sound, and the second with the synchonized captioning
> information) format is probably better, since it can be added
> later for an uncaptioned video and it allows the captioning
> presentation to be controlled by the user through the user
> agent.

It depends on what you consider a document.  A SMIL document is a
folder of resources with one glue piece.  Some of the resources
are web address for RTSP streams.  And the glue piece is in an
open text format.

So if the top level integrating piece of the document is a SMIL
file, there is no real conflict between making it one document
and adding more augmentative tracks later.

[Is this point more of an GL issue, perhaps?]

Al