Go ATAG! Twitter adds alternative text to images

From: Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 12:58:32 -0400
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Last year, Jan Richards and I had conversations with Twitter A11y team
about adding alt text to images to conform to Authoring Tool
Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) 2.0.
https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag.php

Twitter announced today that alternative text can now be added to
Twitter using their Android or iOS apps.
https://blog.twitter.com/2016/accessible-images-for-everyone

Yay!  Thanks to Todd Kloots -- @todd, who drove this issue inside of
Twitter.  Please tweet and thank him.

In other recent ATAG 2.0 news:
Two weeks ago, Wordpress publicly committed to WCAG AA, and one of their
lead A11y contributors, Joe Dolson, blogged that the next step was ATAG
conformance.

https://www.joedolson.com/2016/03/wordpress-goes-wcag-mean/ His final
paragraph:

"What’s next? Embracing the guidelines in the Authoring Tool
Accessibility Guidelines <https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag.php>. It’s
not enough to make it possible to succeed; we should be trying to make
it impossible to fail. "

It is great to see the influence of ATAG spreading.

Jeanne