RE: Allowing font size changes

Also, a well-implemented responsive design will cope well with whole page zoom, without introducing a horizontal scroll bar.

From: Alistair Garrison [mailto:alistair.j.garrison@gmail.com]
Sent: 15 January 2016 15:10
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
Cc: Durham, Heather <heather.durham@pearson.com>; Michiel Bijl <michiel@agosto.nl>; Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Allowing font size changes

Hi,

I agree that page zoom is not the same as independently scaling page text.

I also agree that page zoom under G142 can be used to meet SC 1.4.4.  But, I'd just add that it is also good to be aware that the horizontal scroll that is often a zoom by-product can cause significant accessibility issues by itself.

If only the text is increased in size this horizontal scroll issue can generally be avoided.

Alistair

On 15 Jan 2016, at 14:41, Jonathan Avila wrote:

>  I skimmed 1.4, but that doesn't seem to say whether text should be scaled independently from he layout. In other words, is page zoom equal to text scaling?

Page zoom (if not blocked or disrupted by the author) can be used to me SC 1.4.4 resize of text.  People may disagree on this - but this is current the case through sufficient techniques that were created by the WCAG working group.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group