RE: New Caption Definition - please comment

In the Netherlands, we use 'ondertitels' ('subtitels') for both subtitles
and captions, sometimes the more specific 'ondertitels voor doven en
slechthorenden' ('subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing') is used for
captions.

Subtitles are typically used for content in a foreign language and subtitles
for deaf and hard of hearing are typically used for Dutch content. Because
of this, often 'subtitles' is used for captions for Dutch content because
people will tend to understand that they are for people who are deaf or hard
of hearing.

In the Netherlands, subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing usually use
different color fonts to signal a change of speakers. Since that would
violate our guidelines about using color to convey information, we may want
to address that in the techniques somewhere.

Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl
WWW: http://www.heritas.nl