From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Yvette Hoitink
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 10:39 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: Real-time events

Hi Gregg and others,

I don't like "events that are live" as a definition of "real-time events". I
associate "live" with performances, not with events like auctions, games,
etc.

"Live" has multiple definitions in dictionary.com, including the following
which relate to your use of the word:
Broadcast while actually being performed; not taped, filmed, or recorded: a
live television program.
Involving performers or spectators who are physically present: live
entertainment; a live audience.

Neither of them are what we mean for real-time events. Real-time events
don't necessarily involve broadcasting or performers or spectators who are
physically present.

Dictionary.com has the following definition of real-time:  "Of or relating
to the actual time during which something occurs; that is, current as
opposed to delayed."  That seems closer to what we want so perhaps that can
be some inspiration for the definition of real-time events. I can't think of
a way to make it work so I have no suggestion.
Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl
WWW: http://www.heritas.nl