From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of 'Jason White'
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:52 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Longdesc (was Re: BIG ISSUE -- re Delivery Units)

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 05:42:05AM -0600, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
> Interesting question.  I would say that they were not intended to be
> rendered together, since that is the usual behavior.
>
> Do you see any guideline that would be affected by this?
1.1.1 in the case where the value of the ALT attribute alone doesn't provide
the same information as the image, but considered together with the
resourced which LONGDESC points to, the success criterion is satisfied.
Thus, if according to my example I make a conformance claim about a.html,
and b.html (to which LONGDESC refers) isn't part of the same Web unit, an
evaluator can't take it into account in assessing the conformance of a.html.
I would have to amend my conformance claim explicitly to include b.html.

I know this may seem pedantic, but that's how technical specifications are
applied, particularly when controversy arises.