From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of David MacDonald
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 3:34 PM
To: 'WCAG'
Subject: collated transcript technique

>From the January 12 technique, I have an action item to clear comments for
the technique:

http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Providing_a_collated_transcr
ipt_of_captions_and_audio_descriptions

Yvette says:

"I don't think this is quite done yet. It needs links to the definitions of
audio descriptions, captions, closed captions, etc."

Our glossary does not have a distinction between closed and open captions.
I propose the following addition to the definition of caption in the
glossary.

captions

Synchronized transcripts of dialogue and important sound effects. Captions
provide access to multimedia for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. C

<proposed_addition>In general, an onscreen menu on newer televisions allows
closed captioning to be turned on or off. Open captions, in contrast, are an
integral part of a transmission that cannot be turned off by the viewer.
</proposed_addition>

From: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci864467,00.html

.Access empowers people
            .barriers disable them.