Re: German XML translation

Hello Stefan,

Very glad to hear that you started the XML translation.
I just had a look at your page at
http://www.mintert.com/xml/trans/, and also at
http://www.mintert.com/xml/news.html.

There is one problem that has been brought up to W3C staff before,
and that may come up again, so I think it is worth discussing it
here in the list.

There is no such thing as an "official" translation of HTML or
whatever into language X. The W3C does not have the manpower and
language expertise to do the checks that would be necessary to
give some translation a kind of "official" status. The only thing
the W3C can do and does is to reserve the right to require corrections
or removal of a translation if errors become apparent (see the FAQ at
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ.html#translate).

In principle, it is possible to have two translations of the same
document into the same language. Of course, this is a waste of time,
and we try to avoid this by providing this list and the respective
pages. In this connection, the use of the definite article (in
languages where this is possible) is also a bit questionable, but
as long as there is only one translation, to say that this is *the*
translation into a given language is factually true.

At 22:56 98/03/17 +0100, Stefan Mintert wrote:

> BTW: Is there already a page for XML translations at the W3C site? (I just
> know about a page for HTML 4 translations)

I have initiated that we get one.

Regards,   Martin.