Re: Datatyping differences

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 07:35, Patrick Stickler wrote:
> On 2002-01-28 15:03, "ext Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 04:53, Patrick Stickler wrote:
[...]
> >> If you don't define the datatype,
> >> or if your knowledge migrates out of the circle of your
> >> control?
> >
> > I don't know how to make sense of that.
>
> It's called the global semantic web, where RDF encoded
> knowledge is interchanged around the world between disparate
> applications.

I still don't see how this relates to the design choices
at hand in any technical sense.

> >> What if I need "30" to mean something else?
> >
> > I doubt you really need "30" to mean something else.
> > Zillions of perl and tcl programmers, for example,
> > do just fine with just one kind of literal.
>
> But, again, perl and tcl have *BUILT IN DATATYPES*.

Tcl has one datatype: strings.
Perl has one (relevant) datatype: scalars.

I suggest that RDF can do likewise. (see S, idiom B,
for details).

> Sorry for shouting, but I keep having to repeat that
> point.

It doesn't seem to matter how many times each
of us repeats his position; it's pretty clearly
not going to convince the other.

I think I have said what I have to say.