Re: DATATYPING: second draft

>At 10:19 AM 12/14/01 -0800, Sergey Melnik wrote:
>>  > Dan has raised an issue, rephrased by Pat as how many triples result from
>>>  merging:
>>>
>>>     foo bar "10" .
>>>
>>>  and
>>>
>>>     foo bar "10" .
>
>Ha!  I came up with exactly this issue in my review of the latest
>model theory draft.  Do we have a consensus yet?

Well, let me suggest what the answer should be. This may seem odd, but....

I think the answer depends on whether this is a single graph being
'merged' with itself, or whether it is two distinct, but identical
(ie isomorphic) graphs. If the former, then the 'merge' is just the
same graph, with 2 nodes and one arc: a single triple. If the latter,
then it is a larger graph with three nodes (assuming foo is a uriref)
and two arcs. This is because different occurrences of a 'bare'
literal have to be treated as distinct nodes (in case one of them
should get itself attached to a different datatyping scheme from the
other...), unlike urirefs. Notice that if you did a similar exercise
with two copies of an all-uriref triple:

foo bar baz .

then the merged graph would be the same in either case, ie it would
simply be a single triple; since in this case, the merging would
(re-)identify the two copies of each uriref.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes