Re: ISSUE http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-replace-value

On 2002-08-01 6:05 AM, "Dave Beckett" <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> I propose that we do not change the name rdf:value and close this issue.
>
> 1. Insufficient reasons to make this change
> 2. Will causing an existing uses to be illegal - such as as
>    the examples in M&S.
>
> This proposal *does not* indicate how this name is *used*, merely
> that the name in the RDF Namespace, will remain "value".  I see this
> as tangental to resolution of datatyping issues.

Before we close this issue, I insist that we add a new issue to deal with
the semantics of rdf:value, which many implementers and users and been
confused about.  I will not vote to close this issue until a new issue is
added to the issues list. Here's a proposed piece of text for the issues
list:

Issue rdf-semantics-of-value: Clarify the semantics of the rdf:value
property.

raised Fri, 09 Jan 2002 by Aaron Swartz

throughout the M&S and is never defined. Some have suggested it is used for
multi-valued properties (some suggest currying is a better way to do this)
and others have claimed it is for defining the lexical representation of a
resource. It is requested that the Working Group clarify its meaning and
usage.

Currently: for discussion