Re: Your proposal

Now we get into our areas of disagreement.

* I mentioned HTTP as having lousy performance WITHIN A SINGLE PROCESS.
 I guarantee you that a function call is much cheaper than formatting
the request into a stream, writing into a loopback socket, reading the
result back, parsing it,  and then the reverse.  Another example is
SQL access to properties of a resource.  If I want to query the resource
data efficiently, I need to be able to treat properties of the resource
as "virtual data", not make a series of function calls on each item in
the query set.  If I want to write a servlet that takes an HTML form
input and changes WebDAV properties, I definitely want a functional API
(in Java).  Everyone knows that SMB sucks and is incredibly chatty.  As
far as HTTP performance, it mostly depends on the amount of
functionality you can pack into one request.  If I have to issue a
GETLOCKED name request followed by a bunch of other requests to get all
of the state of a particular resource, HTTP will suck.

My point was that the WebDAV model is actually bigger than HTTP--other
data access systems (like SQL and XML technologies) should also be able
to manipulate the data easily.

* Another reason for making all information about a resource available
as properties is using XSL to format an HTML page giving access to all
of this data.  There is a lot of support for not requiring a lot of
programming (ala JSPs or ASPs) to format data within a page.

* I don't understand why you think it will be easier to handle protocol
extensions on the client side by using additional HTTP methods rather
than resources.  XML applications are used to ignoring elements that
they don't care about--extensibility is one of the key wins of XML vs.
traditional OO languages.  It allows DOM objects to be passed around
multiple areas of the system better.  For example, let's say that I have
some client library which implements the client side of the
HTTP protocol, and allows plugins to that client to access the
XML DOM for each resource.  I can install a new client plugin to handle
new properties that appear in that DOM, but I won't be able to extend
the HTTP protocol.  HTTP protocol implementation is typically at a lower
level of the client or server than properties.

HTTP request/response parsers are not generic technology like
XML parsers are

* It sounds like you are arguing against the general trend of making all
of your data available via XML, which is counter to the general
strategies most technology companies are following now, including
Microsoft and Oracle.  With your proposal, you are going to render all
of the burgeoning XML technology base useless, which is why the WebDAV
people built around XML in the first place.

Is anyone thinking about a thin-client WebDAV implementation (HTML only)
running in a browser?  I should be able to do stuff like changing RSRs,
manipulate directories, etc. with a web app.

--Eric