RE: ISSUE 3564: Optional Assertions may not be usable in all cir cumstances

Prasad/Umit,

I think the discussion, started by Umit, highlights the complexity of
trying to separate requirements versus capabilities, and
client/requester policies versus provider/service policies. I don't
think it is necessary. I actually think that it is not possible to do
this without significantly liming the specification's use case coverage.

Currently the specification states that "...policy assertion represents
an individual requirement, capability, or other property of a
behavior..." The key word here is "behavior". Any entity can have
requirements, capabilities or other properties associated with it. The
specification should not attempt to define these.

The specification should not define polices with regard to relationships
between entities, either. The client/requester may have both
requirements and capabilities to be covered by policies, and the
requirements imposed on the client may have nothing to do with service
capabilities. An example of this is the HTTPS requirement on the client
without the service actually supporting HTTPS (with intermediary in
between). The same applies to the service/provider.

The roles of the requester/provider may also change in the scope of the
same bidirectional interaction.

As long as the policy (assertion) defines entity behavior through a
subject, the variations above are not important and are covered by the
specification, in my opinion. Of course, the behavior can be optional -
as in Umit's MTOM use case.

Regards,

Yakov Sverdlov

CA