From: Yalcinalp, Umit [mailto:umit.yalcinalp@sap.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 5:07 PM
To: Prasad Yendluri; Daniel Roth; public-ws-policy@w3.org
Subject: RE: ISSUE 3564: Optional Assertions may not be usable in all cir
cumstances

Hi Prasad,

It seems to me that perhaps the problem is the assumed definition of
capability in the community and lets tease out a bit. You are right, there
is an anomaly, but I am not sure I agree with the term "optional
requirement".

PY>Yes we need a clear definition of what we mean by capability. As clearly
demonstrated by the exchange on this thread, there are multiple (at least
two) interpretations. Your interpretation of capability is not what I was
expecting but, I can grant that it can be considered a capability (of the
provider), in that the provider can do it, if the consumer (client) side
engages it.

When MTOM assertion is present with optional="true" on a msg, I do not
understand why you think it as a requirement. From the perspective of the
service, it is an optimization that is available but NOT necessary to be
engaged. Hence, IMO this fits to a definition of a capability, albeit
inherent at runtime.

PY>Well like I said, it is one interpretation of capability, something the
service side can handle if the client side engages it. Per another
interpretation, it is a requirement on the client to engage it, even though
the client has the option not to engage it, as it is "optional". I tend to
think of capability as something the provider side declares that it is
capable of doing (like guaranteed under 10 msec. response time). All
assertions that depend on the client (consumer) side doing something, fall
in the "requirement" category from my perspective. Requirements can be
optional or mandatory, based whether the consumer side must do it or not.
Capabilities have no such client side impact. They are pure provider side
declarations, which if the provider does not meet or deliver put the
provider out of policy.

The marker to indicate that an interaction will take 10 seconds response
time is more of a property of the service.

PY>Well we don't have anything called a "property" in WS-Policy. I consider
it a capability; it is a 10msec response time guarantee.

I do not consider this a capability that is selectively engaged.

PY>By my definition of capability, it may or may not be selective. It is
what the provider declares it can deliver and if the provider does not
deliver it, it is out of policy.

In essence, the service does not advertise that "hey I can response to you
in 10 seconds, but you must do sth in order to get this kind of quality of
service". It just says that you will get this behaviour. IMO, this is just
an inherent property of the QoS, not a capability.

PY>Well we clearly have different view points here. I see that as a clear
declaration of capability (sure a QoS related one in this case).

 It is a requirement of the service to provide you this QoS. The burden is
on the provider (or whomever) that advertises this assertion as it is a
requirement on their part. Just like a marker that advertises whether the
interactions with a service guarantees confidentiality ("we won't sell your
information to third parties".). You may be able to take legal action if
they do if they did not comply with the advertised policy which they
advertise. The client does not do or no choice in altering the outcome, but
it is just there. I agree that this expression of this category should be
part of the WS-Policy assertions. I would not call this a capability
however. In this case, the #2 is a requirement, but the requirement is on
the provider where the client does not need to do anything.

In the end it all boils down to what we mean by "capability" and whether we
need a glossary to explain it. The MTOM category IMO is certainly NOT a
requirement.

PY>The specification states that a "policy assertion" identifies either a
"requirement, or capability of a policy subject." And it does not define a
capability to be an optional assertion, whereas the primer is giving that
interpretation.  I don't think that is accurate explanation of what the spec
states, as it stands now. It is certainly subject to interpretation and
contention.

I am not sure why you don't see MTOM category to be not a requirement? If
there is no "optional" on the assertion that calls for engaging MTOM by the
client, then * it is * a requirement on the client to use MTOM encoding on
the messages it sends and expect to receive and handle MTOM encoded
messages, is it not?

Lets see what others think. After we solidify the terminology, it is easy to
fix the guidelines, primer, etc.

PY> Yep, fine with me, We clearly need a concrete definition of requirement
and capability in the spec, given the demonstarted scope for interpretation
here.

Cheers,

--umit

  _____