RE: TIBCO objects to last call (resend)

I don't really understand why this question is relevant. Consider two
scenarios;

1.	WS-Addressing defines a set of properties and explicitly states
that the set is extensible. A subsequent specification defines a set of
extra properties that augment the set in WS-Addressing.

2.	WS-Addressing defines a set of properties and explicitly states
that the set is not extensible. A subsequent specification defines a set
of extra properties for SOAP messages.

What is the practical, technical difference between the two approaches?
In both cases a SOAP message can contain headers from the WS-Addressing
spec and the subsequent spec. And be processed accordingly.

> *	If other specifications can amend this set, in what
> sense may it be said to be specified by WS-Addressing

Any additional properties are defined by those other specifications, not
WS-Addressing.

> *	Exactly how a future specification requiring endpoints
> beyond the presently defined reply and fault endpoints should
> define these

A future specification can define things however they like. I don't
understand how we can even constrain how people would write such specs (
or why we would want to ).

> *	In particular whether such a specification would have
> to define a new SOAP module to hold properties parallel to
> those defined in the MAPs

I don't see much value in *requiring* people to do such a thing, but I
concede that approach is one way to write such a specification.

> *	How the current definition of MAPs as mandatory
> properties would apply to existing SOAP/HTTP interactions
> which have no notion of such properties

I take it by 'existing SOAP/HTTP interactions' you mean interactions
that don't use WS-Addressing. Such interactions don't have any
WS-Addressing defined message properties. The message properties only
apply if you're actually using WS-Addressing, which in practical terms
means you have at least one header in the WS-Addressing namespace in
your messages.

> *	Whether existing specifications would need to be
> amended to mention MAPs and/or their corresponding headers in
> order to leverage the asynchronous request/reply pattern to
> which the MAPs are evidently tailored, as suggested by the
> explicit mention of ReplyTo and other headers in
> specifications such as WS-Transfer and WS-Enumeration

I would think that such amendments are up to the authors of those specs.
Why is it our concern in this WG?

> *	What level of MAP extensibility is actually required by
> the WS-Addressing charter.

It doesn't seem like the charter requires that the set of message
properties be extensible, but it also doesn't preclude such extension.
As I have stated before, I don't really see how a spec can make it self
completely non-extensible, especially given the way SOAP works; any
header can modify the behaviour of any other header.

Our current spec acknowledges that the set of properties it defines is
not exhaustive. Anyone can write a spec to supply properties that they
consider useful over and above those defined by WS-Addressing.

Gudge