Re: Minutes of the Web Services Addressing / TAG joint meeting

RFC2617 allows a limited form of integrity protection on both requests
and responses; see sections 3.2.2 and 3.2.3, especially with regard to
the calculation of A2. While it's true that HTTP Digest authentication
doesn't provide for integrity protection on HTTP headers (it's very
messy), the Request-URI isn't a header, it's in the Request-Line.

That said, I'm not aware of any implementations that support this.
Anybody else?

Also, SSL and TLS provide security for both HTTP headers and all of the
request line EXCEPT for the hostname and port.

Cheers,

On Mar 4, 2005, at 7:46 AM, Rich Salz wrote:

>> "underlying" protocol such as HTTP.  Duplication has serious
>> downsides,
>> but also some advantages, and may be a reasonable compromise in some
>> cases, perhaps this one.
>
> There is no way to get end-to-end security on HTTP headers.  Put
> another
> way, while I can sign a wsa:To element, there is no way (at least not
> standard way; there might be a private shcme I don't know about)
> to sign the URL in the POST command.
>
> 	/r$
> --
> Rich Salz                  Chief Security Architect
> DataPower Technology       http://www.datapower.com
> XS40 XML Security Gateway  http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems