RE: NEW ISSUE: Schema tweaks

All time is relative. Ask Einstein. If my frame of reference is different
than yours (and it always is; see Einstein)
then a duration can often make the most sense for something like a retry
interval. If I tell you to retry on
March 15, 2005 and your system's clock is mistakenly set to the epoch,
then you'll be waiting an awfully
long time to retry. Conversely, if I tell you to retry at 2 pm ET today
and your clock is mistakenly set to
tomorrow sometime, you'll either be retrying too soon or never at all.

A retry is just a convenience that says,"wait some period and try again...
I might be up by then". If I tell you
to wait 30 minutes and it takes an hour to get there, where is the harm if
you wait an additional 30 minutes?
For all I know, you have been retrying repeatedly in the interim because
you didn't get the retry fault
and didn't know better to wait. Or, maybe you're using WS-RM with the
exponential backoff enabled
and you're possibly going to ignore the retry fault and stick with that.

Wimpy: "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"

We all know that Wimpy never paid.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://webpages.charter.net/chrisfer/blog.html
phone: +1 508 377 9295

public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org wrote on 03/03/2005 12:07:50 PM:

> >   xs:dateTime is an instant in time, not a period of time
>
> Ask me Tuesday.
>
> >   xs:duration is a period of time, not an instant in time
>
> Ask me in three days (implied: from now).
>
> >  This proposal would make us look stupid to the entire community
>
> I hardly think so.  A duration only makes sense when you have a base
> time to use it with.  What's the base time here?  Is it when the server
> sent the message, or the receiver got it?  And suppose it's not
HTTP-HTTP