Re: A way around the default table?

Le mercredi 14 août 2013 à 01:15 -0400, Doug Schepers a écrit :
> This is one of those weird formatting issues that is a confluence of 2
> poor design decisions in the system:
>
> 1) Semantic MediaWiki (I think) outputs topic lists as tables for
> formatting reasons (this is really the fault of CSS for not doing
> flowing columnar layout sooner)
>
> 2) MediaWiki makes "layout tables" without proper headings where it
> should, and doesn't distinguish between layout tables and real tables in
> its output, meaning we either have to style tables
>
> Neither of these things is really in our control.
>
> We could simply make the category index manually (which defeats the
> purpose of using a CMS) or we can live with it until we migrate to
> another system.

FWIW, I think an alternative would be to create a new Result format for
Semantic MediaWiki (as part of the Semantic Result Formats stuff [1]),
and then replace our Category pages by a Semantic Media Wiki query (with
another extension à la
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryMagicWords )

Of course, it may or may not be practical to do so given existing
priorities, available resources, etc.

1. https://git.wikimedia.org/tree/mediawiki%2Fextensions%
2FSemanticResultFormats.git