Re: [WebSQL] Any future plans, or has IndexedDB replaced WebSQL?

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Benjamin Poulain <
benjamin.poulain@nokia.com> wrote:
> WebSQL in its current form is pretty dead, see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/webdatabase/ :
> <quote>Beware. This specification is no longer in active maintenance and
the
> Web Applications Working Group does not intend to maintain it
> further.</quote>
>
> And:
> <quote>This document was on the W3C Recommendation track but specification
> work has stopped. The specification reached an impasse: all interested
> implementors have used the same SQL backend (Sqlite), but we need multiple
> independent implementations to proceed along a standardisation
path.</quote>

This is painful to read.  WebSQL development died because SQLite, the most
widely-deployed database software in the world, was too good?  That sounds
like a catastrophic failure of the W3C process.

--
Glenn Maynard