Re: [WebSQL] Any future plans, or has IndexedDB replaced WebSQL?

On 03/31/2011 05:19 PM, ext Nathan Kitchen wrote:
> I've been watching discussions on IndexedDB for a while now, and
> wondered if anyone would mind spending a few moments to explain how
> IndexedDB is related (or not) to WebSQL. Is IndexedDB seen as replacing
> the functionality originally offered by WebSQL? If not, are there any
> plans to make a cross-platform variant of Web SQL?

WebSQL in its current form is pretty dead, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/webdatabase/ :
<quote>Beware. This specification is no longer in active maintenance and
the Web Applications Working Group does not intend to maintain it
further.</quote>

And:
<quote>This document was on the W3C Recommendation track but
specification work has stopped. The specification reached an impasse:
all interested implementors have used the same SQL backend (Sqlite), but
we need multiple independent implementations to proceed along a
standardisation path.</quote>

I suggest you to look at the mailing list archive if you want all the
details.

cheers,
Benjamin