Re: Please comment on new survey: Making W3C the place for new Web standards

Le mardi 22 juin 2010 à 14:12 -0500, Ian Jacobs a écrit :
> Given discussion last week and comments since then, I've created a
> simpler survey:
>   http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/newstd2/?login
>
> Please let me know whether you think this would be useful for
> gathering information that will help us create useful proposals.

I think the set of data that it intends to capture is reasonable, but I
still don't think a formal survey is the right way to gather the data.

In other words, I think that what we should do is to distribute action
items to gather the said data for the various use cases we've
identified; the gathering of some of this data may require asking
information from some people, but that's much more likely better done on
an ad-hoc basis, adapted to each and everyone communication preferences,
rather than through a one-size-fits all survey.

Some nits on the survey, should it be still used as-is:
* "no F2F", "no teleconf" can hardly be called an offering
* W3C doesn't have a microblog system at this time, so it's not
something that can be evaluated as part of the current infrastructure;
nor is it clear that we offer calendar feeds as a regular service
* instead of "cvs (or...)" I would say "version control system (e.g.
cvs, mercurial)"

Dom