From:  Justin Brookman <jbrookman@cdt.org>
Date:  Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:19 PM
To:  Mike Zaneis <mike@iab.net>, Walter van Holst
<walter.van.holst@xs4all.nl>
Cc:  <public-tracking@w3.org>
Subject:  Re: DNT: Agenda for Wednesday call, February 20

At the Bellevue meeting last summer, it was agreed that we would drop market
research and product improvement from the standard as permitted uses.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0341.html

I disagree with Peter's decision to reopen the issue, but I am willing to
consider proposals for a narrowly crafted research exception.  There are
certainly societal benefits to be realized from understanding how people
surf from site to site.  For the time being, I still think that a DNT:1
signal should serve as a request to opt out of such cross-site research, and
I have yet to see a proposal that does not allow for boundless collection
and retention (even if for admittedly laudable purposes).