Re: ACTION-174: Write up implication of origin/* exceptions in EU context

Ninja,

On Wednesday 06 June 2012 17:28:48 Ninja Marnau wrote:
> Rigo, I do not see where I state that ad hoc advertisement in
> general is  illegal. All of these thoughts refer to tracking and
> building profiles.

I was talking about advertisement _Auctions_, not ad hoc
advertisement. The nature of an auction is that you don't know
beforehand who will take the market. This means you can't know all
the third parties at the time of creation of your service, not even
on the first round of request/reception of the page.

> What I ask for are two things
>
> 1) make the responsible entity transparent (responsible as a data
> controller) - who this is depends on contracts as well as factual
> control

And this does NOT work with Auctions of ads. By this, you simply
prohibit Auctions on ad networks. I promised to come up with a well
described use case with Shane.

> 2) get prior informed consent for (cookie-based - though I would
> not  limit it to this) tracking

How could you get a prior consent if you don't know who you're gonna
interact with? What you can get is a prior consent with those who
have selected the auction platform. So it will depend on the auction
platform's reputation whether it will be chosen by a content
provider, if that content provider exposes himself to liability for
data breach by the auction platform.

> Of course, this require changes in the current ad industrie. But
> so does  DNT. So, what is the point you are trying to make?
> A transitive consent like you are suggesting is not yet covered by
> law  and wont be by the proposed EU regulation.

Ok, this is then a thing I have to address with the Parliament. I
think this should also be a topic for the OBA roundtable. I want
good privacy and good data protection, but I also want easy and
viable data protection. :)

Rigo