Re: diff of TPE editing since the FPWD

I was surprised as well.  My understanding of the consensus around DNT: 1 and DNT:0 corresponds with Tom Lowenthal's. There would be an additional state, when neither was chosen.  That would be because the user made no choice or the user-agent didn't support DNT.  Sites would respond as appropriate given various differences in regulations and cultural norms....

on Jan 12, 2012, at 12:52 PM, Tom Lowenthal wrote:

> On 01/10/2012 06:12 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> 1	Do not track me across differently-branded sites and do not use
>> previously tracked/obtained behavioral data from other sites to
>> personalize a response.
>>
>> 0	Use of cross-site tracking and personalization has been
>> specifically permitted for this site, as described in section 6.
>> User-agent-managed site-specific exceptions.
>
> [Section 4, 4.1]
> As mentioned on the call, I was surprised to see this definition of
> DNT:0 positioned as a site-specific exception to a general DNT:1
> preference. I was expecting (and others on the call seemed to assume) a
> quite different approach. My understanding is more as follows:
>

> DNT:1 Tells everyone who receives it that I have a heightened preference
> for privacy and against being tracked. First parties mustn't share any
> information about me. Third parties must treat me like someone about
> whom they know nothing, and remember nothing about me later.
>
> DNT:0 Tells everyone who receives it that I have a preference towards a
> personalized service, and consent to tracking. All parties may gather
> data and learn about me and should use that information to improve my
> experience with them.

John M. Simpson
Consumer Advocate
Consumer Watchdog