meaning of DNT 1 and DNT 0 when sent by user agents [ISSUE-78]

On Jan 12, 2012, at 12:52 PM, Tom Lowenthal wrote:
> On 01/10/2012 06:12 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> 1	Do not track me across differently-branded sites and do not use
>> previously tracked/obtained behavioral data from other sites to
>> personalize a response.
>>
>> 0	Use of cross-site tracking and personalization has been
>> specifically permitted for this site, as described in section 6.
>> User-agent-managed site-specific exceptions.
>
> [Section 4, 4.1]
> As mentioned on the call, I was surprised to see this definition of
> DNT:0 positioned as a site-specific exception to a general DNT:1
> preference. I was expecting (and others on the call seemed to assume) a
> quite different approach. My understanding is more as follows:
>

> DNT:1 Tells everyone who receives it that I have a heightened preference
> for privacy and against being tracked. First parties mustn't share any
> information about me. Third parties must treat me like someone about
> whom they know nothing, and remember nothing about me later.
>
> DNT:0 Tells everyone who receives it that I have a preference towards a
> personalized service, and consent to tracking. All parties may gather
> data and learn about me and should use that information to improve my
> experience with them.

I have no problem defining it that way if that is how user agents intend
to implement it.  What I wrote is how it is currently implemented, AFAICT.
I agree that the current state isn't as crisp as what you describe above,
for a variety of reasons.

Can we get some input from the other browser vendors?

....Roy