Re: First draft minimalist periodical/article proposal

I can't say that I'm a fan of including issue and volume in Periodical.
 Not only does it feel wrong, it seems like it's overloading Periodical
with multiple meanings.

I'd definitely prefer:

Periodical > PeriodicalIssue > Article

I have never really seen a compelling case for Volume (since it's kind of
an abstract concept on its own), but Dan noted (off-list) that publishers
will (sometimes) group on them (e.g.
http://link.springer.com/journal/volumesAndIssues/11134#volume75,
http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/wccq20?open=51&repitition=0#vol_51).  I'm
not sure I find this a particularly compelling use case, but if somebody
can make a convincing argument that people actually use "volume" as a first
class citizen, I don't know that I would put up too much of a fight against
it (but I'd prefer it to be optional).  I would *really* like to hear the
opinion of some people in publishing on this.  I feel like we're modeling
their universe without any input from them, which is strange.

The main reason I would like to keep "PeriodicalIssue" (or some equivalent)
is to be able to align with Bibliontology (http://bibliontology.com/):
 Periodical would align pretty well with
http://neologism.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bibo#Periodical; PeriodicalIssue to
http://neologism.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bibo#Issue; and Article to
http://neologism.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bibo#Document or
http://neologism.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bibo#Article (I'd probably lean towards
the more conservative superclass, but I don't have a strong opinion either
way).

Bibo only puts 'volume' on Document, which says to me that it was a
compromise between books and serials and associated it with the Article,
rather than the Issue, which probably doesn't apply to us unless there's
commonality between Article and Book.

-Ross.