Re: CURIE proposal ...

Sandro wrote:

> > What you are proposing is even worse than expanding the same
> > macro differently in different contexts. Now you are saying that foo:bar
> > really stands for "something-long-here", but in some contexts we are not
> > allowed to use "something-long-here" instead of foo:bar.
>
> Right.  You can't avoid the short form after the "^^", because then
> you'd have an infinite term.    So?   That doesn't seem so bad to me,
> personally.  The short form is what people will use in nearly all cases;
> the long form is there just for a kind of consistency.
>
> But since you clearly don't like that, we could allow expanded IRIs
> without the explicit "^^".  And if we do that, really, the hands down
> favorite syntax within languages which use URIs directly is <URI>.  So
> we'd have four equivalent forms:
>
>    1.  Point Brackets
>
>          <http://purl.org/dc/terms/creator>
>
>    2.  CURIEs
>
>     	 after:   PREFIX("dc", "http://purl.org/dc/terms/").
>
>          dc:creator

This has the same problem that I mentioned before:

      in one place (in (2)) foo:bar means one thing.
      in some other place (in (4)), it means something else.
      I think it is no good for a macro.

>    3.  Data Value (using Pointy Brackets for rif:uri)
>
>          "http://purl.org/dc/terms/creator"^^<http://www.w3.org/2007/rif#iri>

This compounds the same problem. In (1), <http://purl.org/dc/terms/creator>
means

"http://purl.org/dc/terms/creator"^^rif:iri.

In (3), the same thing means just http://purl.org/dc/terms/creator

>    4.  Data Value (using CURIE rif:uri)
>
> 	 after:   PREFIX("rif", "http://www.w3.org/2007/rif#").
>
>          "http://purl.org/dc/terms/creator"^^rif:iri

This is part of the problem mentioned in (1).

What was wrong with my much simpler proposal to allow macro-expansion (by
simple concatenation) everywhere this stuff occurs unquoted (like after ^^
and inside <...>)?

	--michael